Monday, April 9, 2018
Picturing Success episodes
rick sammon & larry becker talk with the best photographers in the world
Monday, March 26, 2018
Rick and Larry dive into what it takes to intelligently build a brand as a photographer and entrepreneur.
Rick Sammon has been widely known and successful on his own for decades and Larry has had some success as an author and speaker and they both tackle the ins and outs of building a personal brand.
Thursday, March 15, 2018
Rick and Larry discuss some of Rick’s thoughtful memory tools he shares with his photography students. They’re called Sammonisms and Larry & Rick go through them and explore why each is important.
– The name of the game is to fill the frame.
– Dead center is deadly.
– When you think you are close, get closer.
– The camera looks both ways. Adapted from Freeman Patterson’s “The Camera Points Both Ways.”
– Expose for the highlights.
– Use your camera like a spaceship. (A Dick Zakia philosophy.)
– Light illuminates, shadows define. Shadows are your friend. Shadows are the soul of the photograph.
– Backlight = shoot tight.
– Make pictures, just don’t take pictures.
– See eye to eye – shoot eye to eye.
– Take the darn flash off the camera.
– Don’t oversaturate.
– Make a one-picture promise – to yourself.
– We are a part of everyone we meet.
– People want to know how much you care before they care how much you know.
Scott is the President and CEO of KelbyOne (the online educational community for creative people); the editor and publisher of Photoshop User Magazine; Conference Technical Chair for the Photoshop World Conference & Expo; Host of the influential weekly photography talk show “The Grid;” Founder of the annual “Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk” (the world’s largest social photography event); Training Director and lead instructor for KelbyOne Live Seminars, and author of a string of bestselling books.
Scott wrote “The Digital Photography Book, Part 1”, which became the bestselling book in history on digital photography. Won the Benjamin Franklin Award for his book The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers, was named The #1 Bestsellling computer/ technology author in the world for the six years straight, and the #1 top-selling author of photography books for six years running. His books have been translated into dozens of different languages, including Chinese, Russian, Spanish, Korean, Polish, Taiwanese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, and Portuguese, among others. In 2015 Scott was presented with the HIPA Award by the Crown Prince of Dubai for his contributions to photography education and I received the prestigious ASP International Award, presented annually by the American Society of Photographers for “…contributions in a special or significant way to the ideals of Professional Photography as an art and a science.”